(A detailed version of this chapter in notes #301.042 on http://facebook.com/mehtarahulc )
42.1 List of proposals to improve Electricity production and Supply
1. Right to Recall Central Electricity Minister, State Electricity Minister, Central Electricity Regulator, State Electricity Regulator
2. Equal Allowance System over Electricity Consumption to reduce power cuts
3. MRCM (see chap5) will improve electricity purchasing capacity of poor.
4. Right to Recall judges and Jury System will reduce electricity power theft and thus improve electricity production
42.2 Right to Recall Electricity Regulators, Ministers
In the area of electricity, 4 persons play key roles : Central Electricity Regulator, State Electricity Regulator, Central Electricity Minister and State Electricity Minister. My request to non-80G-activists and citizens is to convince PM, CMs to print TCP , and then using TCP, citizens should enact Right to Recall State Electricity Minister, Right to Recall Central Electricity Minister, Right to Recall State Electricity Regulator and Right to Recall National Electricity Regulator. In addition, using TCP, citizens should also enact Jury System over Govt owned Electricity Companies. This will reduce corruption in staff, reduce theft and reduce maintenance failures.
42.3 Self-regulated power cut and 24 hour electricity for all : Allowance System over Electricity
In India, officers have deliberately not installed electricity wires in many villages. That is because if people in those areas start getting electricity, then the elitemen in cities will have to live with lesser electricity. Also, in many areas, the elitemen cut the power supply, by load shedding, in poor areas so that elitemen in well off areas can have more electricity for themselves.
How do I propose to solve this problem?
Once we have Right to Recall Electricity Ministers, the load shedding in all areas over India will become uniform. But that does not reduce the problem. We must get rid of load shedding within 2-3 months if possible. We start increasing number of power plants, but power plants will take a few years before they are built. And bigger problem is getting coal, fuel etc to produce the electricity. The raw fuel problem does not have guaranteed solution.
So how do I propose to create a situation where-in there will be minimal power cuts across India? I propose that citizens should print the following draft in Gazette using TCP.
1. Citizens can replace Central Electricity Minister and State Electricity Ministers using Right to Recall procedures.
2. The Central Electricity Minister will give estimate of per citizen production from power plants under Central Govt.
3. The Central Govt will have 1/3 share of it and rest will be allocated to citizens in a ratio that the citizens where plant is located will get twice the net share citizens of other states.
4. Example : Say estimated production from a particular power plant owned by Central Govt in coming month is to be 1000 million units . Then about 333 million units will go to Central Govts. The rest 667 million units will go to citizens. Say that State has 10 cr citizens and rest of the India has 105 cr citizens. Then each citizen in that State will get 10.6 units and citizen outside that state will get 5.3 units
5. The State Electricity Minister will give estimate of per citizen production from power plants under State Govt.
6. The State Govt will have 1/3 share of it and rest will be allocated to citizens in a ratio that the citizens where plant is located will get twice the share citizens of other states.
7. Example : Say estimated production from power plant owned by State Govt in coming month is 1000 million units . Then about 333 million units will go to Central Govt. The rest 667 million units will go to citizens. Say that State has 10 cr citizens and rest of the India has 105 cr citizens. Then each citizen in that State will get 10.6 units and citizen outside that state will get 5.3 units.
8. A private electricity manufacturer, including captive plants, will allocate the consumption rights in the same was Electricity Producers owned by State Govt.
9. If a person has electricity generator at his home, this law-draft will not apply on him.
10. A citizen can allocate his share to meter numbers (consumption points) or registered consumers in any ratio he decides. The registered consumers can transfer the allowance amongst one another.
11. The meter’s consumption limit will be decided total allocations made to the meter
12. Example : Say a meter number is N. Say 5 citizens each having allowances of 50 units have allocated their allowances of 50 units allocated 50% of their allowances to this meter number. That that meter’s consumption limit will 125 units
13. If a meter exceeds the consumption limit it has, then Govt can impose a fine which can be as high as 10 times the regular charges
14. To allocate his consumption units to meters and registered buyers, the person will need to go to his Talati’s office indicate his allocation. Up to one change in allocation per year will be free and there after, the person will need to pay a fee of Rs 3.
15. The State/Central Govt will allocate its own units to its own departments such as Military, Courts, Police etc. The rest will auctioned in the open market.
16. A citizen can allocate his electricity units as follows : N1 units to a particular meter number, N2 units to another particular meter number and excess units to a particular company. The “particular meter number” can be his own household and/or shop he owns.
17. If a citizen feels that certain category of persons, such as farm land owners etc should have more Allowances, he may submit the clauses as affidavit and then citizens will decide using TCP or MPs will decide as per existing and new laws.
18. The end user will pay the charge for actual electricity he consumes as decided by the Electricity Regulators.
42.4 Effect — fan-tubelight or equivalent cash for all
In 2009, per capita electricity consumption of India was 612 KWH or 612 units per year. How much is one unit? One unit can keep a 60 W tubelight go for 16 hours and a 60 W fan for 16 hours. If a family runs a bulb 8 hours a day and fan for 12 hours a day, then they would consume 438 units a year. For other appliances, they would surely need more electricity.
In the “Equal Allowance over Electricity” proposal I proposed, each person’s consumption limit and it is transferable. Thus a person who has no light at home or keeps his light off can sell away his consumption rights to a person who requirement is excess. IOW, the load shedding or power-cut is minimized by increasing the price in such a way that only those who are consuming more than the average will have to pay, and the excess payment is decided is free market (i.e. each citizen) and the money directly goes to the citizens who consume less electricity.
For example, say per citizen per month consumption allowance is 40 units. Then a family which has no electricity connection can sell away 40 units of consumption unit to any company and get amount equal to market rate from that company. Say a family of 4 only uses a tubelight 5 hours a day and fan 12 hours a day. They will need 30 units a month. So they can use 30 units and sell away rights to consume 130 units to someone else. Likewise, a person who uses air conditioner 20 hours a day will consume 600 units a month. He will need to buy 560 units from someone who is consuming less.
So how does this Equal Allowance System reduce power cuts? Because if every person consumes as per units he has obtained then there will be no power cuts at all. Now the fact that a person will have to pay 10 times the charge will ensure that he will buy units from markets rather than flouting it, or in case, he cannot buy units then he will reduce his consumption himself. IOW, a mall which is running air conditioners round the clock is welcome to run the air conditioners, but they better get units from those who are consuming less. And if those who are consuming less decide to consume more rather than give away the unit, then the mall will have to wait till power production increases.
42.5 How MRCM will improve power scenario
The MRCM will increase the incomes of the poor. This will increase their ability to but electricity. Also, MRCM ensures that citizens get incomes from royalties that comes from crude oil, coal to citizens. So if demand for electricity rises and if electricity manufacturing companies decide to pay more for crude oil or coal, then incomes of citizens will automatically rise. Thus MRCM ensures that every person will be able to use at least some electricity.
42.6 How Right to Recall judges improve Electricity Production?
RTR judges will ensure that judges will not give stay orders to block the projects. E.g. Narmada Dam project got stalled for 40 years due to stay orders from various judges. So as stay orders decrease, the hydro power plants and other power plants will come at faster rates. This will improve electricity production.
42.7 What can YOU do to improve Electricity Supply?
Please read chap-13 of this book http://rahulmehta.com/301.htm . It has several steps where-in you can spend 6 hours a week and help to bring TCP draft in Gazette in India. The steps involve distributing pamphlets, informing citizens on motives of leaders such as Congress MPs, BJP MPs, The Anna etc who oppose TCP draft, by giving newspaper ads, contesting elections. Once TCP gets printed in Gazette, using TCP, it will become easy for activists to get citizens’ opinion law-drafts mentioned in this chapter such as Right to Recall National Electricity Minister, RTR State Electricity Minister, Equal Allowance System over Electricity, MRCM etc. This will make it possible to create uninterrupted 24 hour self-controlled electricity supply.